Treasury of Tibetan Medical History
An award-winning overview of Sowa Rigpa’s historical development with an emphasis on the major medical schools and the lives of famous physicians, also documenting the early years of Tibetan medicine in Indian exile for the first time.
[MAIN CONTENT IN TIBETAN ONLY]
- English title: Treasury Of Tibetan Medical History
- Tibetan title: བོད་ཀྱི་གསོ་བ་རིག་པའི་ལོ་རྒྱུས་ཀྱི་བང་མཛོད་གཡུ་ཐོག་བླ་མ་དྲན་གླུ།
- Author: Dr. Pasang Yonten Arya
- Year of publication: 2021 (reprint of 1989 original, with new Editor's foreword)
- Language: Tibetan, with English foreword and table of contents
- Dimensions: 21 x 14 x 1,8 cm
- ISBN: 978-2-9701464-2-1
- Paperback: xx + 311 pages, with additional foreword (4 pp.)
Treasury of Tibetan Medical History is a facsimile of Dr. Pasang Yonten Arya’s award-winning chronological account of the ancient origins, early development, flourishing, and spread of Sowa Rigpa from prehistoric times up until the twentieth century. Calligraphed in block-style script and first printed in 1989, this unprecedented textual research provides a comprehensive overview of the major time periods, events, and characters that have shaped the dynamic history of Tibetan medicine. Besides highlighting the underestimated contributions of the Bön and revealed treasure traditions and tracing the lineages of all influential medical schools, this monograph is also enriched with numerous biographical sketches of renowned scholars and physicians. Containing a unique chronicle of Sowa Rigpa’s survival in Indian exile, as well as the transition to modern Tibetan medical education, it is both a landmark reference and a primary historical source.