Dictionary of Tibetan Materia Medica
A pioneering alphabetical dictionary that documents three thousand Tibetan medical ingredient names, enabling the identification of relatively unknown synonyms while also providing brief descriptions based on the principal classical sources.
[MAIN CONTENT IN TIBETAN ONLY]
- English title: Dictionary Of Tibetan Materia Medica
- Tibetan title: བོད་ཀྱི་སྨན་རྫས་རིག་པའི་ཚིག་མཛོད་གཡུ་ཐོག་སྔོ་འབུམ་དགོངས་རྒྱན།
- Author: Dr. Pasang Yonten Arya
- Year of publication: 2021 (reprint of 1991 original, with new Editor's foreword)
- Language: Tibetan, with English foreword
- Dimensions: 21 x 14 x 1,5 cm
- ISBN: 978-2-9701464-1-4
- Paperback: xix + 257 pages, with additional foreword (3 pp.)
Dictionary of Tibetan Materia Medica is a facsimile of what might have been the first Tibetan work of its kind. Originally handwritten in clear uchen script in the Indian Himalaya and published in 1991, this alphabetical dictionary documents an estimated three thousand unique ingredient names collected from the principal classical texts on medicine and pharmacognosy. Cross-referencing relatively unknown synonyms, Sanskrit-derived and other foreign terms as well as poetic and secret names to their respective main entries, it is an indispensable guide for the correct identification of the herbs, minerals, animal substances, and metals listed in traditional Tibetan medical formulas. Key quotations on their healing properties, subdivisions, and similar materia medica further increase the value of this pioneering lexical reference for practitioner-pharmacists and researchers of Sowa Rigpa’s vast pharmacopoeia.